Well it has been a long and tiresome battle the last few months, but I can finally say that I have reached the light beyond the horizon…. I have barely had a moment to myself over the last while and the toll it has taken on my mind is indescribable. After a long hard journey, lots of stress and the odd dramatic outburst, I think I deserve a little break! And that is exactly what I am doing at this moment… Kicked back in my leather reclining rocker with my feet up and my laptop rested at my fingertips, I am basking in the sun that is shining in the window and enjoying the silence I have at this moment. (which is a very rare thing in my house) Its been awhile since I have had either the energy, or the inspiration to write and it actually feels good to being doing so right now.
I can honestly say that through all the trials, drama, moving and chaos I have learned a great many things over the last year, simple little lessons that can make or break a person’s soul. So as I sit here, back in my ‘small city” home where I belong, far away from the constant chaos of the ‘big city” life I left behind, I will share with you these lessons in the hopes that I may (by chance) save someone else a great deal of stress and heartache by making the same mistakes I have over time…
12 Simple Lessons That Will Make Life Easier, For Everyone!
- You may not ‘think’ you like your life, but it’s really not that bad – You have all heard the saying ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’ but what no one ever seems to consider is that perhaps the grass is greener because there is more fertilizer on that side of the fence… A.k.a. More shit on the lawn! Look for happiness in what you have, not that which you desire. Always remember that what you have now was what you once longed for!
- Gossip will get you nowhere – Not only does gossip get you nowhere, it gets you nowhere alone without any friends. If you wouldn’t say it confidently and comfortably to someone’s face, don’t say it at all. Mama was right when she said, if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything. Besides, the person you are gossiping with now is probably gossiping about you to someone else as well.
- Real friends are hard to find – You may think you know someone well. You may consider them a dear friend, but the truth is that ‘true‘ friends are few and far between. It is a sad fact of life that most people are out only for themselves, so if you find a real friend that is there when you need them most and does not expect anything in return, hold them close and never let them go. Surround yourself with people who compliment who you are and bring something positive to your life. Get rid of the ones that don’t and never feel bad about doing so. You wouldn’t do something that makes you feel bad on a regular basis, so don’t keep company that doesn’t make you feel good either.
- You are the most important person in your life – You might think that family or children come first, but the truth is “it’s all about you.” Without taking care of yourself, you are not going to be able to take care of those you care about. Be sure to treat yourself with the love and respect you deserve so that you are in your best shape to deal with all the other important things, and people, in your life. There is nothing wrong with being selfish, if you don’t love you who will?
- Your partner needs to know they are loved – Appreciation is a major part of a healthy relationship. People will give and give as long as they know it is being done for a reason, but without acknowledgement and appreciation they can only give so much. Be sure that you take the time to show your partner how much you love and appreciate them regularly and without expectation. Keep in mind how good you feel when you know you are loved and appreciated and share that joy with the ones you love.
- Children can make you smile even in the worst of times – Even when the world is falling down around you and it seems there is no silver lining in sight, children has this amazing ability to make you smile. Be sure that you are never to busy to take a moment and appreciate the joy that they can bring to your life. Whether they are your own, or you have to borrow someone else’s, take the time to share some joy with a child and you will find that life is never as bad as it seems.
- Material things will not make you happy – No matter how big your T.V how nice your furniture, or how fancy your house, material things are not going to make you happy. You can shop until you drop, but if you are not fulfilled in other aspects of your life these purchase are going to be made in vain. What good is a huge house if it is empty? What’s the point of a fast car if you have nowhere to drive it? Pretty things are not pretty locked away from the world. Any way you look at it, things are just things and without true happiness they mean nothing.
- Money is not everything – As with material things money is not going to make you happy so don’t kill yourself trying to figure that out.
- Having money can save a lot of stress – Although money is not going to make you happy, it can combat stress. Having enough money to survive comfortably is a great stress relief, this is especially true for people in relationships. Most marital spats are centered around financial issues and it is one of the major causes of both divorce and depression in many. This is not to say you will be stress free if you are rich, and it is not saying you need to be rich at all, but good budgeting and a secure savings will help alleviate stress and make life a little easier in one aspect.
- You must work and play equally – Burning the candle at both ends when it comes to your career might gain you success in your field, but it wont do anything for your social life. Studies show that in order to be truly content with your life you must have balance between work and play. Instead of busting your butt trying to be number one at work, try to be number one to yourself, do what makes you happy, forget everything else and focus on being content and well-rounded. This approach will save you large amounts of stress, and may very well change your current path in life.
- Everything happens for a reason – Even in the darkest clouds there is a silver lining. No matter what happens in your life you need to look at it as a lesson and learn from it. This is not to say that you should ‘let go and move on’ like some people suggest, quite the contrary, some lessons are lengthy and take time to learn. Just like algebra, more complex lessons require more detailed study. This just means that you need to see the positive in everything that happens in life, even in the worst situations there is something great that can be learned, all you have to do is look for the lesson and be open to accepting it. Don’t see an issue as an obstacle, see it as a challenge and face it willingly with an open mind.
- You must let go of the American Dream… This is probably the most important thing you will ever do in life. Letting go of the American Dream can easily change your life. A big house, perfect career, loving partner, 2.5 kids and a dog may suit some, but it doesn’t suit everyone and it is high time you accept it if it doesn’t suit you. Instead of trying to keep up with the Joneses focus on keeping yourself content. For some this may mean marriage, kids and all the works. It may mean owning a tattoo parlor and piercing your eyelids. Whatever the case, live YOUR dream, not the one that society says is perfect or you will never ‘truly’ be happy in life.
Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it, all you can really do is accept it with open arms. Take time to appreciate all the little things it has to offer and never let a moment pass without being thankful for all the blessings that surround you each day. Even those that suffer through the worst situations can be thankful to be alive. We only get one chance at this life, make it matter to “you.”
Do you have any tips, lessons or advice to make life easier? What are some of the rules you live by? Share your thoughts and tips in the comment section below.
Questions, Comments, Inquiries and Submissions can be sent to:
Many Possibly, But Probably Un-Related Articles On Life Lessons
- A Reader’s Advice: A Simple Plan on Achieving Happiness (fitsugar.com)
- Healthy habits to make you happy (dymlos.wordpress.com)
- 8 Harsh Truths That Will Improve Your Life. (joannewellington.wordpress.com)
- Truths That Will Improve Your Life (imaginethespirit.wordpress.com)
- Which Wolf Do You Feed In Your Life? (workthedream.wordpress.com)
- 10 Quotes That Have Given Me Perspective on Life (metaphoricalmind.com)
- 3 Things We Should Say More (metaphoricalmind.com)
- Silence and Lessons (aowz.wordpress.com)
- Approval Neither Desired Nor Required… (waystoselflove.com)
- Life Lessons (asksmokey.com)
- 25 Life Secrets and Tips (macseattle.wordpress.com)
- Lesson #1: Respect Yourself! (thezephyrchronicles.com)
- 10 Quick Lessons (leslieannvarela.wordpress.com)
- Life to my birthday: 39 lessons (harlequinncooks.com)
- Why are we all Bitches and Gossips? Because we’re Human, thats why (amumsmadness.com)
- life lessons (nuno.wordpress.com)
- A few life lessons (americaineatoulouse.wordpress.com)
- Lesson In Life . Com – Tips & Mind Hack To Be Better Everyday (lessoninlife.com)